- RSS Channel Showcase 9782024
- RSS Channel Showcase 5850251
- RSS Channel Showcase 3080713
- RSS Channel Showcase 1454959
Articles on this Page
- 07/31/17--11:00: _Is Jargon Bad for Y...
- 08/04/17--04:00: _How to Protect Your...
- 08/07/17--05:00: _Trick Your Brain in...
- 08/07/17--09:21: _Great Leaders Build...
- 08/15/17--09:30: _Should You Select C...
- 08/18/17--13:00: _How to Motivate Emp...
- 08/24/17--07:30: _What Transformation...
- 08/29/17--05:00: _Employee Engagement...
- 08/29/17--12:30: _In Employee Motivat...
- 09/04/17--09:00: _How Employee Engage...
- 09/06/17--15:00: _How to Motivate You...
- 09/07/17--11:27: _Intrinsic Motivatio...
- 09/11/17--15:30: _Humility is Key to ...
- 09/18/17--05:00: _3 Powerful Ways to ...
- 09/19/17--06:00: _To Motivate Millenn...
- 09/24/17--11:00: _Employee Engagement...
- 09/27/17--04:00: _4 Areas to Improve ...
- 10/01/17--14:00: _Does Employee Engag...
- 10/02/17--14:30: _What Transformation...
- 10/11/17--09:59: _Minimizing Meetings...
- 10/16/17--04:30: _How Transformationa...
- 10/23/17--15:30: _Motivating Employee...
- 10/25/17--07:30: _3 Ways to Deal with...
- 10/29/17--12:00: _Effective Leaders E...
- 11/01/17--11:00: _The Perks That Make...
- 07/31/17--11:00: Is Jargon Bad for Your Business?
- 08/04/17--04:00: How to Protect Your Employees from Burnout
- 08/07/17--05:00: Trick Your Brain into Getting More Done
- 08/07/17--09:21: Great Leaders Build Cohesive Teams
- 08/15/17--09:30: Should You Select Contractors Over Full-Time Employees?
- 08/18/17--13:00: How to Motivate Employees in a Growing Company
- 08/24/17--07:30: What Transformational Leaders Do Differently
- 08/29/17--05:00: Employee Engagement vs. Employee Experience: What’s the Difference?
- 08/29/17--12:30: In Employee Motivation, Communication is Everything
- 09/04/17--09:00: How Employee Engagement Staves Off Burnout
- 09/06/17--15:00: How to Motivate Your Employees to Take Vacation Days
- 09/07/17--11:27: Intrinsic Motivation and Your Employees
- 09/11/17--15:30: Humility is Key to Transformational Leadership
- 09/19/17--06:00: To Motivate Millennials, You First Must Understand Them
- 09/24/17--11:00: Employee Engagement Starts with Your Leadership
- 09/27/17--04:00: 4 Areas to Improve Your Employee Engagement
- 10/01/17--14:00: Does Employee Engagement Really Matter to Your Bottom Line?
- 10/02/17--14:30: What Transformational Leaders Never Say
- 10/11/17--09:59: Minimizing Meetings: How Great Leaders Can Free Up Their Calendars
- 10/16/17--04:30: How Transformational Leaders Communicate With Their Employees
- 10/23/17--15:30: Motivating Employees—Even During Hard Times
- 10/25/17--07:30: 3 Ways to Deal with Bad Leadership
- 10/29/17--12:00: Effective Leaders Embrace This Weekly Ritual
- 11/01/17--11:00: The Perks That Make Your Employees Happier
Over time, teams tend to develop their own vocabulary—their own shorthand. This is a natural occurrence, but it’s not always beneficial—especially not when the company’s internal lingo becomes cluttered with jargon; and then, when that internal lingo spills over into dialogue with customers. What are some examples of modern-day business jargon? I’m thinking of phrases […]
All of us have days where we’re not feeling as motivated or as energetic as usual. That’s perfectly normal. But when that aimlessness lasts for days or for weeks, the only name for it is burnout—and when burnout starts spreading to your employees, it can derail the productivity of your entire team. Now, to be […]
Feeling unmotivated this summer? Like you just don’t have the stamina or the focus to get anything done? It’s all in your head. No, really. Your brain plays tricks on you, and sometimes it tries to trick you into being unproductive. But as I tell people all the time, in my role as an executive […]
You may have a lot of exceptional talents in your company—but if those talents aren’t working harmoniously, you don’t truly have a team. The good news is, there is much you can do to bring those talents together into something cohesive and effective. In fact, I’d argue that this is exactly what great leaders do. […]
I’m a big believer in teams—and generally speaking, when we talk about workplace teams, we’re talking about employees. In some cases, though, the best way to build a team is to augment it with contractors and freelancers. Just depending on your need and the stage of company growth you’re in, working with a contractor may […]
The way you motivate your employees can vary greatly according to the size of the company. For example, let’s say you’re running a small family business, and you have just two other people on your team. You probably know them well, have direct relationships with them, and have a pretty good idea of what makes […]
What characterizes a transformational leader? As a motivational speaker and executive coach, this is a question I field time and time again. One of the simplest ways to think about it is this: Rather than merely managing employees, a transformational leader inspires them to excel, to innovate, and to succeed. This is no small distinction, […]
There are different ways for companies to gauge the level of motivation their employees receive—and for a long time, the predominant model has been employee engagement. Recently, though, there’s been a shift in focus, with the term employee experience steadily gaining steam. What do these two concepts mean? How are they similar, and how are […]
There are many ways in which leaders can motivate their team members, some more obvious than others. Certainly, offering bonuses or paid time off can be a great way to keep your employees happy and engaged—but while there’s a time and a place for that, it’s clearly not something you can do every day. That’s […]
Today’s employees are overworked and overstressed. That’s just not my opinion: There are statistics to back it up, including recent reporting from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, plus plenty of anecdotal evidence from business owners around the country. It’s an important issue, not least because it impacts the bottom line of your business: Overwhelmed and […]
You’d think hard-working people wouldn’t need to be told twice to take a vacation—but you’d be surprised. According to some studies, American workers leave more than half their vacation days on the table. That’s a real problem, because it means workers aren’t taking the time they need to refresh themselves and to invest in their […]
When you think of employee motivation, what’s the first thing that comes to mind? For a lot of people, it’s money—and not without reason. Money is one of the primary ways to motivate your team members, whether we’re talking about bonuses or salary increases. And to an extent, it’s also one of the easiest forms […]
Have you ever met someone who was a total showboater? Always boasting, to anyone within earshot, of his or her own accomplishments? That kind of person can be annoying, to put it mildly, and most of us find showboating to be a turnoff. It’s certainly not the sort of behavior that inspires loyalty, or makes […]
It’s a common conundrum—and as a motivational speaker, it’s something I see all the time: Team leaders want to motivate their people, but don’t necessarily have the resources to provide salary bumps or additional PTO days. I’ve written about this at length, because I think it’s a critical problem to address. My basic argument is […]
Millennials are widely perceived to be job hoppers, jumping from position to position in an effort to climb the ladder. This is at odds with the way things were in decades past, when loyalty to a particular employer was a much bigger concern than it is today. And for employers, it can cause some unease: […]
Employee engagement doesn’t actually start with your employees. It starts with you, the leader—with the example you set, the culture you build, the commitment you make to inspiring your team members. As an executive coach, I talk with leaders all the time about the efforts they can make—practical, real-world steps—to boost engagement. Here are a […]
As an executive coach and motivational speaker, I spend a lot of time talking about employee engagement. One thing I’m increasingly aware of is that not everyone’s totally clear on what engagement is—or why it matters. Let me break it down in this way: Employee engagement is really just about creating a workplace environment that […]
Employee engagement has been a big focus in recent years—and not without reason. Employers have learned, slowly but surely, that when your team members have an emotional investment in the company, they’re going to do better work. So, working to build engagement isn’t just about keeping peace or making your people happy; it has a […]
A big part of leadership is what you do—the example you set, the initiative you take, the priorities you demonstrate. But leaders also need to be mindful of what they say, as words have the power to shape perceptions and impact your team’s morale, to say nothing of their trust in your leadership. In this […]
Meetings can be important. They can also be wastes of time. Most leaders know these things to be true. Looking at your own calendar right now, you’ll probably see a lot of time blocked off for meetings. Some of those meetings will be essential—truly productive. Others will be total wastes of time—or, at the very […]
He’s all talk! Talk is cheap! We’ve all heard these phrases, and we all know what they mean: There is a limit to how meaningful words can be, and actions ultimately speak much louder. And yet, as every leader knows, the words you say are by no means irrelevant. In fact, they can go a […]
Every business goes through difficult seasons. Perhaps it’s due to sales drop-offs. It might even be due to the departure of a beloved team member. Or it may simply be the natural ebb and flow of morale. These rough patches will come, and regardless of their cause, leaders must remain proactive in motivating their employees. […]
Statistics prove time and time again that bad leadership drives employees away; indeed, it’s one of the most common reasons for job transfers and career changes. But when you’re actually experiencing bad leadership, day in and day out, you can’t simply up and run. You’ve got to weather the storm, at least for a little […]
It goes without saying that some employees—and some leaders—are more productive than others. The age-old question is, what separates the high achievers from those who are middling and average? A recent article from Fast Company has an interesting answer. According to the article, the high-achieving leader is distinguished by a single weekly ritual. Weekly Re-Alignment […]
Do you remember the last time you had to choose between two job offers? Or, perhaps, the last time you had to choose between staying at your current job or accepting a new position elsewhere? Do you remember how you made your decision? Which factors you considered? There are some obvious ones—salary, benefits, career progression. […]